Wednesday 23 January 2013

A day in the life of...Graham Vasey


The wet plate collodion process is one of the first true photographic proccesses and was invented by Frederic Scott Archer in the 1850s. It is capable of microscopically fine detail and beautiful smooth tones. To create an image I first have to pour a solution of collodion on to a sheet or plate of glass or black metal such as tin or aluminium, after a few seconds the collodion mixture starts to go tacky at this point the plate is placed into a tank of silver nitrate. The silver nitrate adheres to the collodion creating a light sensitive coating on the plate. For the proccess to work the collodion covered plate must remain wet in the camera until it is developed in a darkroom this is why it is known as "wet plate photography".  So I could use this method on my trips out to the Dales I made a simple darkroom out of a cardboard box which would fit into the back of my car, with a safe light consisiting of a hole cut into the box covered with a red gel film . The camera I use is an Edwardian half plate camera, the plates it takes are 6 1/2 x 4 3/4in. I prefer to use black aluminum plate which creates a postive image full of depth known as a tintype, because the silver which forms the highlights reflects the light creating an almost three dimensional effect which in my eyes can create an incredibly beautiful one off artefact.

To view more of Graham's work please visit his page on the website here.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment